Thursday, July 26, 2012

How to make Yogurt

As a child, I remember walking into my great grandma's kitchen and thinking, what is that odd smell.  Mom said, "she's making yogurt."  At that time, I thought, "I'll never do that."  But here I am, using much improved technology to reap the benefits of lower cost and lactose free natural yogurt for my family. 

It's really very simple...Depending on your machine, mine makes 4 cups at a time.  There are some that are much larger that make up to 2 quarts. 

Homemade Yogurt and Creme Fraiche

4 cups of organic 2% milk (or whatever you choose) for regular yogurt
4 cups of organic half and half or heavy cream for creme fraiche
1/2 cup Dannon Plain yogurt (This is a natural starter.  I buy the larger size and store in the back of my fridge for multiple uses.  Make sure it is not the low fat version.)

1. Heat the milk on the stove until it is steaming and starting to froth (but not boiling).  Pull off the burner and cover.  Let cool.
2. Once cooled, whisk in the Dannon plain starter and pour into your yogurt maker.
3. The yogurt maker must be electric in order to keep it at 110 degrees for 24 hours to remove most of the lactose for the SCD diet. 
4.  After 24 hours of processing, let finish yogurt cool in fridge. 

Use the same process to make regular plain yogurt for smoothies or add fruit and honey for a snack or use the heavy cream to make creme fraiche as a substitute for sour cream, cream, and cream cheese in recipes or to make homemade ice cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment